Saturday, May 23

SA Envoy Ignores Chamisa

SPECIAL envoys appointed by African Union chairperson, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa to probe reports of gross human rights violations in Zimbabwe jetted out of the country yesterday after aborting their proposed meetings with the opposition and civic society groups under unclear circumstances.

Baleka Mbete, Sydney Mufamadi and advocate Ngoako Abel Ramatlhodi met President Emmerson Mnangagwa at State House and were expected to meet main opposition MDC Alliance leader Nelson Chamisa and civic society organisations.

The trio arrived on a fact-finding mission "following recent reports of difficulties that the Republic of Zimbabwe is experiencing", according to a statement by Ramaphosa's office last week.

MDC Alliance spokesperson Fadzayi Mahere said they had been formally requested to attend a meeting yesterday with the special envoys, but were surprised after being advised that the envoys were returning to South Africa without meeting them.

"Our delegation remained on standby from 10am, but only to be advised at the end of the day that the special envoys would be returning to South Africa without meeting the MDC Alliance delegation in order to brief President Ramaphosa on the outcomes of their meeting with Mnangagwa," she said in a statement.

"We can only assume that the failure to meet the MDC Alliance delegation was as a result of demands made by the Zanu-PF delegation."

The MDC Alliance said they had reiterated that Zimbabwe was in a state of crisis that was characterised by a de facto state of emergency, a crackdown on citizens, abductions, and arbitrary arrests of government critics and the political persecution of journalists.

"The government in Harare is incapable of resolving these challenges because it lacks legitimacy. We are of the firm view that any solution to the ongoing socio-economic challenges lies in resolving the political crisis and answering the outstanding legitimacy question," Mahere said.

The MDC Alliance spokesperson said it was clear that Mnangagwa was not ready to resolve the national crisis through genuine dialogue.

"However, the deteriorating plight of the Zimbabwean people means that a political settlement is more urgent than before," she said.

However, a reliable source said the envoys were denied access to opposition politicians and civic society, with Mnangagwa insisting that there was no crisis in the country despite the blatant human rights violations since the run-up to the July 31 anti-corruption protests.

Addressing journalists after meeting Mnangagwa, Mufamadi yesterday said the envoys were reading the situation in Zimbabwe.

"We were listening to the reading of the situation, what is being done or the intention to do what strategy. I know you will not ask us to report to our President through the media. We will be reporting to the President who will interact with the public," he said.
Mnangagwa called the allegations "divisive falsehoods" in his Heroes Day speech, repeating his claim that he was under renewed attack from domestic and foreign opponents.

The development comes as African Commission chairperson Moussa Faki Mahamat urged the Zimbabwean government to uphold the rule of law "allowing for freedom of the media, freedom of assembly, freedom of association and the right to information".

"The African Union is following closely political developments in Zimbabwe as the country mounts concerted efforts in response to the devastating effects of the COVID-19 pandemic," Mahamat said.

"The chairperson is concerned about reports of disproportionate use of force by security forces in enforcing COViD-19 emergency measures. He implores the authorities to exercise restraint in their response to peaceful protests."

The statement added: "The chairperson further encourages the government of Zimbabwe to uphold the rule of law allowing for freedom of the media, freedom of assembly, freedom of association, and the right to information. Violations of these rights are a breach of the African Charter on Human and People's Rights and the 2007 African Charter on Democracy, Elections and Governance."

MDC Alliance deputy chairperson Job Sikhala in a statement said: "We will not accept an elite pact that will serve only the interests of politicians, but does not address fundamental structural issues related to accountability, democracy, and the rule of law. We deserve a people-centred government answerable to the people and by the people."

Opposition National Patriotic Front spokesperson Jealousy Mawarire said Ramaphosa's envoys should engage the military as part of their fact-finding mission saying the security sector was embedded in politics and Zanu-PF factional wars.

Mawarire said engaging only the ruling party and Political Actors Dialogue (Polad) would be skirting around the real cause of the challenges facing Zimbabwe.

"Hopefully, the ANC will understand that we need to dialogue with the army which took over Zanu-PF, the State and government. If we don't, a worse situation will explode, especially now that there are two militarised factions in Zanu-PF dabbling in politics.

"If we turn a blind eye to the fact that the military involvement in our national politics is the elephant in the room, we are likely to go back to 1983-87, albeit, on a national scale. It is clear the military factions in Zanu-PF are fighting to control the country and this fight will surely turn bloody if not addressed now," he said.

MDC-T secretary-general Douglas Mwonzora said: "Our approach in the impending discussion is to find a lasting solution to Zimbabwe's problems. In this regard we will be guided by what is in the best interests of Zimbabwe's long-suffering masses."

The Zimbabwe Heads of Christian Denominations (ZHOCD) endorsed Ramaphosa's mediation efforts saying a plethora of challenges faced by the country needed to be brought to an end through dialogue.

"The arrest and persecution of the journalists and the civil activists who amplified and detailed the depth of corruption is worrying. The continued persecution of activists, some of whom have been tortured and treated inhumanely while others are still in hiding for fear of similar treatment is a cause of serious concern. The violent presence and involvement of the army in the sphere that must be taken care of by the police is also a worrying development since the beginning of the new dispensation in November 2017," the ZHOCD statement read.

  • Share:

Info News

The Impact of Social Media on Modern Society

Social media has revolutionized communication and transformed the way people interact globally. Platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and X have become central parts of everyday life, allowing users to share information, connect with friends, and access entertainment instantly. Social media has created new opportunities for businesses, influencers, educators, and activists while also introducing challenges related to privacy, misinformation, and mental health.

One of the biggest benefits of social media is the ability to communicate with people worldwide in real time. Businesses use digital platforms to market products and engage with customers directly. Influencers and content creators build careers by producing videos, educational content, and entertainment for large online audiences. Social media has also played an important role in spreading awareness about social issues, political movements, and humanitarian causes.

However, social media also presents significant risks. Cyberbullying, misinformation, fake news, and online harassment have become major concerns. Many users, especially teenagers, experience anxiety and low self-esteem due to unrealistic beauty standards and constant online comparison. Excessive social media use can also reduce productivity and negatively impact mental health.

Governments and technology companies are increasingly introducing regulations and content moderation systems to improve online safety. Experts encourage users to practice responsible digital behavior, verify information carefully, and maintain healthy screen time habits. As social media continues evolving, balancing digital freedom with ethical responsibility remains an important challenge for society.

Mesothelioma Wrongful Death Lawyer: Legal Help for Families

mesothelioma wrongful death lawyer, asbestos wrongful death attorney, mesothelioma death claim, asbestos death lawsuit, wrongful death asbestos claim

Mesothelioma Wrongful Death Lawyer: Legal Help for Families

Losing a loved one to mesothelioma is heartbreaking. Families may be left with medical bills, funeral costs, lost income, grief, and unanswered questions about where asbestos exposure happened.

A mesothelioma wrongful death lawyer helps surviving family members pursue claims against companies responsible for asbestos exposure.

These cases are time-sensitive, and the rules vary by state.

What Is a Mesothelioma Wrongful Death Claim?

A wrongful death claim is a legal claim filed after a person dies because of another party’s wrongful conduct.

In mesothelioma cases, the claim usually alleges that asbestos exposure caused the disease and that companies failed to warn or protect people from asbestos dangers.

Who Can File?

Depending on state law, eligible parties may include:

Spouse
Children
Parents
Estate representative
Personal representative
Other dependents or heirs

A lawyer can explain who has authority to file in your state.

What Damages May Be Available?

A wrongful death claim may seek compensation for:

Medical expenses before death
Funeral expenses
Burial costs
Lost income
Loss of financial support
Loss of companionship
Pain and suffering, where allowed
Loss of household services
Family emotional losses

State law controls what damages are available.

What Evidence Is Needed?

Families may need:

Death certificate
Medical records
Pathology report
Work history
Military records
Exposure history
Marriage certificate
Birth certificates
Estate documents
Funeral bills
Income records
Witness statements

If the patient gave deposition testimony before death, that testimony may be important.

What If the Patient Never Filed a Lawsuit?

A family may still have legal options even if the patient did not file a lawsuit while alive.

However, deadlines may be short. The statute of limitations may run from the date of death or another date depending on state law.

Asbestos Trust Fund Wrongful Death Claims

Some asbestos bankruptcy trusts allow wrongful death claims.

Trust claims may require:

Medical diagnosis
Exposure evidence
Proof of death
Family relationship documents
Estate authority
Work history
Product or jobsite evidence

Why Families Should Act Quickly

Waiting can make the case harder because:

Documents may be lost
Witnesses may become unavailable
Work history may be harder to confirm
Legal deadlines may expire
Trust rules may change
Medical records may take time to obtain

Final Thoughts

A mesothelioma wrongful death lawyer can help families seek accountability after asbestos-related cancer takes a loved one’s life.

No legal claim can replace the person you lost. But compensation may help with medical bills, funeral costs, lost income, and family support.

If your loved one died from mesothelioma, speak with an experienced asbestos lawyer quickly to protect your family’s rights.